[Seaside] Re: Handling errors - staging/production

Sebastian Sastre sebastian at flowingconcept.com
Tue May 31 12:51:11 UTC 2011

We were using monit for a while but then it didn't quite fit our needs. So, we made a little seaside app we (use internally) that can be configured to monitor a cluster of worker-images (serving the real web apps)

When a worker is unresponsive for any reason it will receive a gentle kill -15 and if it's still there, say 30sec after the signal, it will receive a kill -9 (checking if it really isn't there anymore) and then it will be restarted.

So, by 'goes really bad' I mean (inside one of this workers) an exception that your custom error handler (like the one Boris show) didn't catch (a bug in the http server used by seaside can do that for example). Actually is rare. It didn't happen to us in production but happened in development a couple of times... I think I was implementing x-sendfile or something unusual.

sebastian

o/