[Seaside] Bye, bye Jtalk... Hello Amber!

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Sep 14 09:24:20 UTC 2011

On 09/14/2011 09:35 AM, Jon Paynter wrote:
> I tried it before and got an odd looking walkback-like dialog: "parse
> error on line 1 column 14. Expected ..."
>
> Looks like that got fixed either on your side, or my side.

Not sure, if you end up selecting only a partial code or something - and
press DoIt - you will get parsing errors, and it doesn't look too pretty
right now. We will make the dialog better.

> Neat tutorial on the language.  I was hoping for something that walks
> you through creating a simple app in the website.

You can check wiki on github, especially this page:

https://github.com/NicolasPetton/amber/wiki/Buzz-from-the-net

Where there is a tutorial from Raimon Grau:

http://puntoblogspot.blogspot.com/2011/09/jtalk-tutorial-valid-until-end-of-this.html

> I found the traditional seaside counter app.  I can browse the code, but
> I dont see a way to run it.  Im assuming the yellow rectangle is

Raimon's tutorial shows one way:

'body' asJQuery append: Counter new.

...paste that into Workspace, select code and press "Doit". This will
manipulate the DOM interactively of the page - so look above the IDE and
make sure you "scroll down" because it is probably "hidden" behind the IDE.

> supposed to contain the app - but IE9, Chrome and Opera (mobile) give me
> an empty yellow rectangle with a dashed border.
>
> Did I miss something?

No, that is a bug in the page. Probably something happened when Nicolas
amberified the web pages last night. He will fix :)

regards, Göran