[Seaside] backing up data with gemstone/s

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 14:53:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:

> You should also take a look at Fuel (
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel). We haven't tested it
> on Gemstone though.

We discussed that a couple of times. It should not be difficult. The
streams usage from Fuel has been significantly reduced. So the APi used
from Stream is small.
The number of mandatory special clusters has also been reduced. There are
some optional but that can be ignored.
Fuel itself does not depend in any weird dependency and it's pure smalltalk.
The amount of tests of Fuel is huge so it makes the port way easier because
you can validate if it works.
So I think the only part that is necessary to do is to adapt Fuel
serialization/materialization of basic types like Floats, decimals,
strings, integers, date..

Of course, the whole Fuel team would help anyone trying to do the port. I
don't have time for the port myself :(

Cheers,

> Cheers,
> Max
>

> On 26.06.2013, at 16:38, James Foster <Smalltalk at JGFoster.net> wrote:
>
> As mentioned by Johan and Dario there are a few ways to do this.
> GemStone/S has a couple ways of making a full backup of the entire
> repository (image) and restoring the full backup. It is also possible to
> export a subset (using a native method called "passivate" or something like
> SIXX) and import that subset into an existing repository.
>
> James
>
> On Jun 26, 2013, at 5:51 AM, sergio_101 <sergio.rrd at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> quick question on gemstone/s..
>
> is there any way to backup a current data set?
>
> further, is it possible to backup that current dataset and install it into
> another image?
>
> thanks!
>
> --
> ----