[Seaside] Re: VM freezes; how to find the cause?

Joachim Tuchel jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Tue May 28 05:21:08 UTC 2013

Hi again,

Am 28.05.13 06:51, schrieb Bahman Movaqar:

I'm going to answer based on my (basic) knowledge of VA Smalltalk's
implementation in its Server Smalltalk feature, which I guess is quite
similar to what Zn in Pharo offers.
> What you're basically saying is that
>   1.  Web application is a thread: if it blocks it only blocks its own
> thread meaning other web applications will still be accessible.

Well, in fact each http request gets answered in its own thread, so in
the best of cases, only one single http request is blocked. You can
still work on other requests and talk to the same application in other
sessions. Imagine a ServerAdaptor in your smalltalk image kicking of an
ST thread for each incoming request.
> 2.  Web server is a thread: if it blocks all web applications will be
> blocked but the VM is still accessible.
Well, yes. The web server (which is really just a small listener on a
socket) is a Thread in your Smalltalk Image. If it blocks, the VM cannot
answer any http requests any more. In a development image, you can still
work with Smalltalk Browsers and dev tools, because they run in another
thread.

> If that's true, well, it adds to my confusion :-)  The -possible- bad
> initialisation occurred in a web application and in worst case at the
> web server level.  Then why did the VM became non-operational?
> According to what you say, only the web application or in worst case
> "Zn" must have become frozen.
In theory, that is what happened. Just like in any other multithreading
environment, there are lots of things that can happen when you make
little mistakes. If you start a process with such a high priority that
it won't let ohers execute any more.
Then, there are exceptions to the things mentioned. External calls, for
example, can block the whole VM (depending on how you call out of the
image), even if they are issued in a low priority background process.
You can produce deadlocks with Semaphores and stuff. Lots of things can
go wrong in multithreaded environments.

Joachim