[Seaside] Bootstrap implementations, pros and cons?

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Thu Feb 20 19:18:46 UTC 2014

I thought I explained the relations between the old proojects and the new project
also in the docu at http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap

There was the request from Stefan Eggermont and Diego Lont to use
also Magritte with my new implementation. Had nothing against that.

But from my side I dont like to see Bootstrap mixed together with Magritte
and to avoid confusion in packages I separated also the repositories:

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap            -> Bootstrap only
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~TorstenBergmann/BootstrapMagritte    -> Magritte support for Bootsrap

This should force us to think where things belong to. For instance I just
use the first one since it is often enough and maybe someone comes up
with something better than Magritte.

So I think no one has yet found the time time to write a
ConfigurationOfBootstrapMagritte beside the known ConfigurationOfBootstrap
for the second one - but feel free to help.

Note: the dependency on Seaside 3.1. is more or less introduced
      to be able to load Bootstrap from the config browser
      in Pharo 2.0 and Pharo 3.0 without any hazzle and start
      right away.
      But I think there was a way to overwrite definitions in a spec from
      the outside if required. You should aks Dale or check the Monticello docu.

BTW: did I mention that there is also

   http://pharo.pharocloud.com

Bye
T.