[Seaside] Re: Modal dialogs that appear with their "background"

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 16:17:40 UTC 2014

Thanks Stephan.

I can understand the use of events instead of direct message sends,
because it decouples the components.
I'm aware of announcements since Vassily published it years ago, and I
like it, it's a reification of the event, like other languajes does
for the callbacks and alike.
One thing that I don't understand is why you have to create one class
per anouncement, instead of using a general class for showing (Tonen)
and modifying (the other :) ), passing the component class as
parameter.

Another thing that I don't understand is why in your example you
create all the pages beforehand, instead of creating them as they are
needed to be shown.

I can see you don't use #call:/#show: because you directly replace the
instVar showing the currentPage and render the component explicitely.
I don't fully understand the implications of calling render: directly
on a component, I'm doing that but for simple reusable parts, more as
"views" than full blown stateful components.

I haven't looked into the StoryBoard project though, so I'm speaking
only by looking at your code. Thank you for spending that much time
with your examples.

Regarding QC, I insist, I'm building traditional "business" apps with
Seaside, and lots of features I'm doing seems to be already
implemented in QC, but QC seems too broad to grasp, the only
documentation I found is a presentation in SlideShare. Maybe there's
more.

Thanks again.

--
Esteban A. Maringolo