[Seaside] Re: Javascript calls through jQuery

Karsten Kusche karsten at heeg.de
Sun Mar 2 18:55:02 UTC 2014

Esteban,
> I want to move as much as I can from the JS file to Seaside, because
> now I need to add certain parameters to the request, and I thought it
> would be simpler to do it with Seaside.

in recent projects i’ve found it’s much easier to do it exactly the other way around. Keep as much code in a js file and configure it via Seaside. Doing jQuery inline in Seaside just makes things more complicated as you need to write the jQuery code in the Seaside style and not plain normal Javascript. It also has the benefits of being easier to debug as you can just set breakpoints at a line. The Seaside-generated Javascript code is typically pretty tight and not pretty-printed, making it extremely hard to debug.

The only places where i use Seaside-jQuery code is when i need to generate render-callbacks or other kinds of callbacks. But as Javascript objects can be assigned to any kind of DOM Object you can separate the callback-code from the other javascript code quite nicely.

Kind Regards
Karsten