[Seaside] Are Announcements robust in seaside app?

jtuchel at objektfabrik.de jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Tue Mar 27 07:11:30 UTC 2018

Timothy,

Am 27.03.18 um 05:53 schrieb gettimothy:
> I've used Announcements and prefer them for inter component event
> handling.

we've been using Announcements in our Seaside App for years now and
apart from beginners' problems (like not unregistering properly and
therefor having all kinds of strange phenomena) they serve their purpose
very well. The housekeeping of subscriptions is key, you can shoot
yourself in the foot easily.

> It's been five years since I used them in Seaside. Have they held up well?
>
> Are they local to a session?

No. They are local to the Announcer that you use. We use our WASession
subclass. But Seaside does nothing to make Announcements local to
anything. Whoever subscribes to the Announcer gets Announcements. So to
some extent you can make them local to a Session by using the Session as
the Announcer, but still you could forcibly register subscribers that
are outside of the Session. It is your responsibility.

> Does jQuery Ajax introduce issues?

Not that I know of. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything ;-)

Joachim