[Seaside] Ci automated deploy of seaside to Digital Ocean

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Fri May 11 12:02:11 UTC 2018

On 11/05/2018 08:45, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Good to know you were pleased with it - I notice the Enterprise pharo
> chapter uses monit - perhaps I may have to try that in instead (but
> supervisord seemed much simpler). One small thought - I’ve been using my
> default root login account  (the tutorials showing Digital Ocean all
> seem to do this) - I have a nagging feeling this isn’t so cool - but I’m
> not sure what the general practice is these days with cloud infrastructure?

I normally don't, but mostly because the VPS I use are not "disposable",
so I lock it down as if it were a physical server.

It is not "cloud" as in that my the servers have a name, not a number :)
Using the analogy [1], my VPSs are pets, not cattle.

> Presumably supervisord needs to run as root? But my image doesn’t -
> still I would have expected that it would all run fine as root (if not a
> bit dangerously?)

supervisord will run as root, and in the process config you can specify
the user for it (for some reason I omitted that last line, sorry)

In my previous example, you should add this to the config:
user=trentosur   ; setuid to this UNIX account to run the program

I avoid running my software as root, in particular if the server where
it is hosted contains information that shouldn't be read by anybody but me.

[1]
https://cloudscaling.com/blog/cloud-computing/the-history-of-pets-vs-cattle/
, there are also "insects" now with microservices/lambda.

--
Esteban A. Maringolo