[Seaside] Ci automated deploy of seaside to Digital Ocean

Pierce Ng pierce at samadhiweb.com
Sun May 13 02:56:23 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 12:45:55PM +0100, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> One small thought - I’ve been using
> my default root login account  (the tutorials showing Digital Ocean
> all seem to do this) - I have a nagging feeling this isn’t so cool -
> but I’m not sure what the general practice is these days with cloud
> infrastructure?

I use daemontools. It runs as root and starts Pharo as a dedicated uid
configured in its run file directly:

  #!/bin/sh
  /usr/bin/setuidgid app1 \
      /pkg/pharo5vm/gopharo -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null smallcms1.image --no-quit

gopharo is a script:

  #!/bin/sh
  PHAROVMPATH=$(dirname `readlink -f "$0"`)
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$PHAROVMPATH" exec "$PHAROVMPATH/pharo" $@ &

I use gopharo because I place my application-specific shared libraries
(such as custom-built libsqlite.so) in the Pharo VM directory, which is
/pkg/pharo5vm/ in my setup.

Pierce