[Seaside] Always getting WARequestContextNotFound while debugging

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 01:00:15 UTC 2019

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 2:26 PM Tim Johnson <digit at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 6:23 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 1:27 AM Tim Johnson <digit at sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since moving to Seaside 3.x in Squeak 5.x, it seems like I haven't been
>> able to debug as well as I used to.  This has been happening for a while
>> but I just thought I'd ask about it now.  It seems worse lately...?
>>
>> It seems like after I hit "Debug" on a Seaside Walkback, I go back to my
>> image and enter the debugger.  Then when I try to evaluate / print /
>> inspect various statements maybe three items down the stack, I always end
>> up with something like a WARequestContextNotFound window.
>>

> Hi Tim,
>
> I know that feeling. That's why some time ago I implemented my own
> workaround (super hackish):
>
> https://github.com/marianopeck/SeasideDynamicVariablesDebugger
>

> Hi Mariano,
>
> Glad I'm not alone!  :)
>
> Thanks for this!  It is super cool.  I have loaded it successfully in
> Squeak 5.2 running Seaside 3.2.
>
> (One immediate difference I noticed:  no more Seaside walkback in the
> browser.  [Not a problem!  Just noting here.]  A stalled browser means I
> need to go to my image, where I will find a Debugger open.)
>
> So, it did not work with Squeak out-of-the-box, but I have made the
> necessary modifications for it to work.
>
> I have adapted WADynamicVariable>>#getAllOpenedSeasideDebuggers and added
> a package protocol method to Debugger, such that #session just returns self.
>
> Unfortunately I don't believe I can use this "cypress" packaged format
> with Squeak (I have no 'gitfiletree', only 'filetree') so I do not know how
> to contribute my changes (from Squeak) as a fork commit & pull request.
> Therefore, attached is an old-fashioned change set file.
>
> Summary of changes:
> * adjustments for platform independence
> * searching for Squeak Debuggers now too
> * package protocol on Debugger:  I assume this means this changeset won't
> load on platforms without a Debugger class (?)
> * broke up WADynamicVariable>>#getAllOpenedSeasideDebuggers into multiple
> methods
> * added carriage returns to Transcript shows
> * typo fix
>
> If you do have some suggestions for another way for me to contribute this
> please let me know.  I am quite comfortable with Git and etc., but without
> GitFileTree I imagine I may be out of luck.

I am glad to read that worked out even with some effort. Honestly, I was
never mean to be generic...as you saw in the implementation. But the idea
itself IS general and can be easily adapted for each dialect, as you also
found out.
As for the file format in Pharo, its a mess. See this:
https://github.com/pharo-open-documentation/pharo-wiki/blob/master/General/ExportFormats.md
And that is not even considering Squeak.
So I really don't know how find a format that would work everywhere.
>From what I can guess you are using "metadatafull filetree" and in that
project I am using "metadataless filetree" ...
Maybe we can migrate it to Tonel, but I don't if that's supported on Squeak
neither in what version.

I guess what I would do is to simply create a separate project or a fork of
mine and putting everything as "metadatafull filetree" (what you get from
your squeak) and then in mine I just update README saying: 'if you use
Squeak, use this repo instead"

Thoughts?

--
Mariano Martinez Peck