[Seaside] Front-End developer coordination

Esteban Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Sat May 25 22:50:07 UTC 2019

Hi Bruno,

In my experience, the UI design in HTML/CSS comes first, and then you
build your components and/or render different tags/brushes to fulfill
the needs of the specification.

I have purchased Bootstrap 3 templates, that in most cases come with
some "components" that are just some html structure plus assigning the
right class to some tags, and I had no issues in building the needed
brushes or components to get the same output as in the "showcased"
example.

In my last project I built an app using the base Bootstrap 3 classes
(using Torsten's Seaside-Bootstrap package), and later on I built a
theme from the ground up (using LESS), this plus some specific classes
for components that I needed to render differently got me very far in
terms of flexibility.

Of course this is an iterative process, but if the designer is
"detached" from the programmers pipeline, then the only alternative I
see to "stylize" existing HTML output rendered by Seaside, is:

1. [Developer] Render whatever you're rendering with Seaside
2. [Designer] Takes the HTML+CSS output of step #1 and works
statically on it (or using browser's Devtools)
3. [Designer] Gives Developer how it should stylize something, using a
static HTML page + CSS rules
4. [Developer] Takes the output of step 3 and adapts what it had in
step #1 to get the same output.

Rinse and repeat. :)

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo