[Seaside] isolate

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 18:46:26 UTC 2019

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 9:58 AM Jonathan van Alteren
<jvalteren at objectguild.com> wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I think I need some more help understanding your suggestions. I'm still learning Seaside and have only the code comments and documentation + books to go on.

I would add the debugger to this.

> Can you elaborate what you mean by the following?
>
> Override "the right methods" and add a check to the flag. Just make sure you don't backtrack this flag.
>

> What do you mean by 'the right methods'?

It's a cheap way of me to say "I don't know" you would have to figure
that out either by studying the code or stepping through the debugger.

> And can you explain to me how I can prevent backtracking? Unfortunately I still haven't been able to find a good explanation for that.

Only the things returned by #states are backtracked so nothing is
backtracked by default. Just make sure you don't accidentally
backtrack something that shouldn't be.

Maybe seeing it in action makes it easier to understand. Good entry
points are the following methods:

WASessionContinuation >> #captureState
WASnapshot >> #restore

> And perhaps you can tell me which version of Seaside still had the #isolate: behavior? That way I can investigate myself.

The 2 series, so 2.8. You can find the code here [1].

 [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside.html

Cheers
Philippe