[Setools] Hi

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sun Jun 25 20:54:03 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

Good to see people interested in tools; this list should be fun. I
have a few things I want to bring up as we get started.

One is the roadmap for OmniBrowser. Here's the plan I've been working
off for the past few months:

1. convert the event handling code to use Announcements
2. deprecate Actions and convert OB over to services
3. add refactoring support
4. implement multiple-selection in browser columns
5. replace the optional button bar with a VW- or Dolphin-style tool
panel

There's also some supporting work that needs to be done, along side
the technical work.

6. document the framework on the OB wiki
7. document the standard Smalltalk browsers, for users
8. document the standard Smalltalk browsers, for programmers
9. create a directory of OB-based tools for download
10. Clean up test cases and improve coverage

Item number 1 is done, and I'm almost finished 2. Lately the SCG (and
ex-SCG) guys have been doing some interesting things with OB, and
we'll want to see how they'll be affected by the changes above.

The other project that might be interesting to folks here is
Monticello2. It's a fragile stage just now, where it has lots of
functionality in place, but it's not quite ready for production use.
There's still one chunk of functionality that needs to be implemented
before it can be considered beta: class renaming. Right now if you
rename a class, that won't be noticed, and all the instances will be
come obsolete. Once that's in place, the core will be complete, and
it's a matter of fleshing out the UI.

So that's what I'm working on these days. What other projects are on
the go? Are there any concrete plans for the bug tracker?

Colin