[Setools] What we have yet

Hans N Beck hnbeck at t-online.de
Thu Jun 29 10:19:00 UTC 2006

Hi Klaus,

> Ok, your nagging and lots of google-ing helped to find something
> which can serve as the picture (which I can reuse ;-) Have a look
> at what they called Round-Trip Engineering, in the poster
> downloadable from
>
> - http://prog.vub.ac.be/progsite/Person.php?rdid=25070
>
> they describe a "... two-phased approach that continuously
> synchronizes between
> a data modeling view and a view on an object-oriented
> implementation ..." as well as "... SelfSync is a tool that
> implements the two-phased approach ...".

This things I must read first. But I get slowly a little feeling
where we are ..... :-)
> This comes close to what I wrote above, doesn't it. I hope this
> answers your question on the context of prototyping.
>
> The context for reuse and reward is: whatever sw engineering tool
> we have seen in the past (my IT "past" is  > than 30 years), people
> didn't use it for reusing existing objects / components / etc.
> Instead, new tools appear as it they are video games !
>
> In the previous millenium one of the main reasons for not to reuse
> was licensing, but nowadays with open source this no longer holds.
> But (almost) nobody is reusing existing software, everybody starts
> (almost) from scratch. One reason for this is, I think, the
> inability to *find* something reusable. I

yes, and I would add, it is also the inability to find something to
like. Often, I hear "oh yes, ,good idea, but it could be better". In
the same direction goes  the experience "all things are already
written in software, but nothing is written which could not be done
better". And it is interesting - mechanical  engineers would not get
the idea the build a eletric motor for themselves - if to build a
airplaine or car...

> therefore suggested to invent rewards for maximizing reuse. With
> rewards I do not only mean the obvious monetary reward, but every
> form of benefit for the engineer which does indeed reuse. Because
> the main thing in software engineering is the toolset, we should
> have tools which reward resuse (and not "only" tools for syntax
> checking, OO, models, test, etc). This was my point.

Yes. And it (the reuse) should be very easy and flexible. But I think
that's included in what you said.

Thank and Greetings

Hans