[Setools] Gjallar progress

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri May 4 07:56:52 UTC 2007

Hi!

> Thank you soooo much for using Mercurial versus darcs :)

Hehe, well, darcs is still cool, but Mercurial is really cool too.
A bit off topic this, but here are a few aspects:

Pro Darcs vs Mercurial:
- Very simple to use.
- Has more advanced amend-record, unrecord etc. Mercurial can only revert
the last commit.
- Has partial commits chunk-wise (you pick interactively which chunks to
commit and not only which files).
- Has cherry picking.

Con Darcs:
- Generally handles large binary files quite badly.
- Suffers from really tricky situations/problems that can occur.
- Doesn't maintain meta attributes of files.
- The project seems to be slowing down.

Pro Mercurial vs darcs:
- Seems to be almost as simple to use. :)
- Awesomely fast, even with large files.
- Has several interesting plugins like patch queues (quilt) and transplant
(some kind of cherry picking).
- Has a philosophy of less magic but more predictability.
- The project seems to be the top contender right now, moving ahead a lot.

Con Mercurial:
- Not much, but my main things would be lack of partial commits and less
ability to unrecord/amend-record - BUT patch queues solves most of that.

Anyway... Mercurial is my top pick for the moment in the DVCS area and I
want to learn it more.

regards, Göran