[Smalltalk-vn] 1st OLPC Vietnam developers meeting

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 05:09:26 UTC 2010

Hi all,
we were around 15 people for the 1st meeting of OLPC Vietnam developers.
I put some pictures of the event here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=221797&id=538054947&l=7d2be59155

I made a short presentation of the OLPC project and a report of my
visit to the Vung Vieng village.
My slides (report of the VV village visit) are available here:
http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/visit-to-vung-vieng-village-olpc-vietnam

The conclusions of my visit are as following:
- every XOs are working and are used everyday by kids. They really enjoyed it.
- XOs are not part of a curriculum. This is more a leisure actitivity
at the moment.
- there is a problem with the local teachers: they only stay one year
in the village. We need to train them every year. Teachers need to be
more involved in the use of XOs in the classroom.
- Only a limited set of activities seems to be used by the children.
There is not enough vietnamese activities
- XOs need to be update to newer versions of Sugar (0.82.1 => 0.88).
We need to select specific activities (with good vn translation) and
write some pedagogical documentation.

We also made some demos of the Sugar environment (on Linux & XOs).
Some students present at the meeting are particularly interested in
developing Sugar applications.

One of the conclusion of this meeting is that we need to grow the
user&developer Sugar community in order to have more vietnamese
contents. This will be one our top priorities of the next months.

Regards
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk