[SoC] Review guidelines

Giovanni Corriga giovanni at corriga.net
Fri Mar 30 08:46:58 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm sorry for having been silent for two days, but I had a backlist of
stuff to complete before working on the Soc proposals.

Here's a set of proposed guidelines for reviewing the applications.

First of all, refer to the guide to the mentors app at
http://tinyurl.com/29awt6 . The mentors app itself is at
http://code.google.com/soc/mentor_home.html .

Applications: I think that every mentor should review all the
applications. A mentor should also click on the "willing to mentor"
button for every application they think they can act as mentor. Don't
worry about the number of students you'd end up mentoring - we can sort
that out later, when we know exactly how many students Squeak will have
to mentor.

Scores: the available ones are +4, +2, +1, -1, -2, and N/A which really
is 0. I propose the following guidelines for the assigning scores:
+4 - We MUST have this proposal accepted.
+2 - This proposal is cool.
+1 - If Google gives us many students, we should do this.
N/A - Meh.
-1 - Something about this proposal is perplexing
-2 - There are serious problems with this proposal.
Again, all mentors should review every application and at least
_consider_ scoring it.

Known students vs. newcomers: Many proposals are by students who already
know Squeak and are silent members of our community (or would like to
get involved in the community), but on the other hand many proposal are
by student who don't know Squeak and/or the tools.
The fact that a student doesn't know Squeak shouldn't be used to
downgrade his proposal(s), as long as the student has good OO skills and
is willing to learn the language and the environment before June.
The rationale for this is that the SoC is a good way to increase
awareness for Squeak, so we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss newcomers.
We should instead try to strike a balance between "squeaker students"
and newcomers (but please not that this doesn't mean we have to reserve
half of our student slots to newcomers, though).

SoC mailing list: this mailing list can be used for general discussions
about the SoC and the proposals. Details about the single proposal
should be discussed in the comments of the mentor application.

Any questions/comments/etc. ?

	Giovanni