Squat progress 19 July 2003: new version of complete installation package

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sun Jul 20 07:02:11 UTC 2003

Hi--

	Now that I've made a suitably small virtual machine, I've finished a
new version of a complete installation package for Squat, along the
lines of "relief" (http://netjam.org/relief ). It's a webpage that, when
visited, downloads an installer program and runs it. The installer
program downloads a snapshot, a virtual machine, and the Flow plugin,
decompresses the virtual machine and the Flow plugin, and runs the
virtual machine. The virtual machine decompresses the snapshot, and the
snapshot updates itself.

	The current sizes are 93,352 bytes for the snapshot, 18,973 bytes for
the Flow plugin, 107,642 bytes for the virtual machine, and 61,440 bytes
for the installer program, for a total of 281,407 bytes. The
decompressor is is both the virtual machine and installer; I could save
about 40K by loading it dynamically in each case... I'll save that for
some future version.

	Next I'm going to write my first Squat application, which is a snapshot
that updates itself enough to display my resume, then displays it. :)

	thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta