other questions

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Sun May 4 02:43:21 UTC 2003

Hi Johannes--

> I'm working on distributing a Squeak version and also have problems
> with the existing ORBs I've found, and the ones I've managed to
> create myself. I want to get complete forwarding, and don't really
> know how to do it. Is your proxy class available somewhere...

	I haven't released it yet. I'd like to release it as part of Squat; the
first "real" milestone I have planned is shipping a small system into
which Flow may be installed.

> ...or can I get some ideas of how to write something similar?

	It works by changing how the interpreter does message lookup, and using
a simple network protocol for remote message-sending.

> I've also been thinking on moving down the distribution functionality
> to a lower level later on in my project, maybe by managing it with the
> object table and have special table references point to a link and
> forward things from there to remote objects. What do you think of
> that? Could it work or is it complete lunacy?

	It could work, but I prefer the simpler approach of just modifying
message lookup. By changing a very small part of the system, you can
"fake out" the rest of the system. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta