Spoon progress 14 February 2006: yet another way to shrink, perhaps the best

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Tue Feb 14 22:07:00 CET 2006

Hi--

	I have a variant of the garbage collector working, one which doesn't
mark methods which haven't been run recently. This does most of the work
of shrinking an object memory, in one fell swoop (and it runs at full
speed). Now I just kill unwanted processes from afar, clear all method
activation marks, run a few things I know I'll want (mostly support for
remote messaging), then make a snapshot. The automatic removal of unrun
methods this way causes a chain reaction, with the freeing of unused
method literals.

	What used to take days (shrinking manually with a remote system
browser) now takes a couple of seconds.

-C

--
Craig Latta