Compiling Flow.so under linux

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 22:18:39 UTC 2007

I have been unable to deduce the steps required to build Flow.so
under linux. There are guides [1] [2], but ran into problems
following each one, such as configure barfing on an empty build
directory, where to put the source, whether VMMaker is needed,
and whether generated or raw source is required to build
Flow.so. So, here is what I am doing. It does not work:

1.  Download the 3.9-8 VM source code:
    http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-8.src.tar.gz
2.  Unzip it to /home/tapple/squeak/vm
3.  Download the 2a5 Flow source code:
    http://netjam.org/flow2a5.tar.gz
4.  Unzip it to
    /home/tapple/squeak/vm/platforms/Cross/plugins/FlowPlugin
5.  Download and run squeak-dev:
    http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/sq3.9-7067dev07.08.1.zip
6.  Install VMMaker-3.8b6.1 from Universes (Category: System)
7.  Load "spoonProcessor Changes.st" from the components
    directory of
    http://www.movedigital.com/go/netjam/63004/spoon.2a12.linux.zip
8.  Open VMMaker Tool and configure:
    8.1. Interpreter Class Name: Interpreter
    8.2. Path to Platform Code: /home/tapple/squeak/vm/platforms
    8.3. Platform Name: unix
    8.4. Path to Generated Sources: /home/tapple/squeak/vm/src
    8.5. Internal Plugins: None
    8.6. External Plugins: Flow
9.  Generate Entire. This generates, among other things, a
    single file containing the generated Flow source:
    /home/tapple/squeak/vm/src/plugins/Flow/Flow.c
10. In shell:
    10.1. cd /home/tapple/squeak/vm/src
    10.2. ../platforms/unix/config/configure
    10.3. make
11. Lots of undefined refs to halt in gnu-interp.c
12. Try just compiling plugins: make plugins
13. Lots of syntax errors in the generated Flow.c file

I have a feeling that the generated Flow.c file is the problem,
since the source is distributed as a set of files, but only one
is generated

[1]: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2105
[2]: http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html