approaching Spoon (was "No webserver started when starting spoon")

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 03:54:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 06:10:22PM -0700, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Norbert--
>
> > I saw videos where you showed a graphical browser for the memory of a
> > remote image. That is pretty much of a functionality. I'd like to
> > reproduce this as well. Aside from this I have absolutely no clue what
> > is the status of spoon. Did I miss some important document? (I read
> > the spoon book already and the netjam web site).
>
>      I suspect so. The most important things to read are the Spoon
> progress reports in the Spoon mailing list archives.
>
> > Btw. how do work with the spoon image? Do you bootstrap anything or
> > are you running spoon in the simulator?
>
>      Here's what I do:
>
> -    I start the minimal Spoon memory.

The memory.image distributed with spoon 2a12?

> -    I start a control memory (one with Naiad support in it).

How do you make that? Which image version do you start with?
Which VMMaker version do we need to make a vm with the proper
support in it? How can we run an interpreter simulator using
this VM? Do I need to go buy a mac? Which os?

I know you have done more work in spoon than just a "Hello
World" demo.

Since there is nothing inside the memory.image distributed with
2a12, I need to run the interpreter simulator to see what it is
doing and why it is halting. Here is what I tried on windows xp:

- I downloaded http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/sq3.9-7067dev07.6.2.zip and ran it using naiad.exe distributed with spoon 2a12
- I installed VMMaker-3.8b6.1 from universe
- I downloaded http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.4-src.zip and unzipped it
- I filed in spoonProcessorChanges.st
- I opened VMMakerTool, pointed it at SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.4\platforms
- I set the platform to win32
- I generated the source for the core and all plugins internally
  except for:
  - FileCopyPlugin
  - InternetConfigPlugin
  - LargeIntegersPlugin
  - LargeIntegersSimulator
  - MacMenubarPlugin
  - TestOSAPlugin
- I tried running
  (InterpreterSimulatorLSB new openOn: '..\memory.image') test
- It failed with MessageNotUnderstood: Bitmap>>swapBytesFrom:to:

Should I be doing something differently? How do you do it?