Compiling Flow.so under linux

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Fri Sep 7 20:16:36 UTC 2007

OK, OK, I got out my Linux box and had a go at this for a while. Used
the new 2a5 sources, but I think they're still in need of work to get
Spoon running under Linux. But here are the steps. Sorry I can't pin
down some of this exactly:

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:43:00 -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

>> 1.  Download the 3.9-8 VM source code:
>>     http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-8.src.tar.gz

>> 5.  Download and run squeak-dev:
>>     http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/sq3.9-7067dev07.08.1.zip

So now you have a working "vanilla" Squeak.

. . .

Get the entire VM SVN:

svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk squeak-svn

>>     http://netjam.org/flow2a5.tar.gz
>> 4.  Unzip it to
>>     ~/platforms/Cross/plugins/FlowPlugin/

OK, but be sure that your folders across "platforms" are named either
Flow or FlowPlugin, ie named consistently. Craig named them "Flow", so
beware!

> 4.1.  Download the Flow build files:
>       http://netjam.org/flow2aPrimitiveSources.zip
> 4.2.  Extract
>       flow2aPrimitiveSources.zip/flow/platformSpecific/linux/Makefile.in
>       to ~/platforms/unix/plugins/FlowPlugin/

Extract
flow2aPrimitiveSources.zip/flow/platformSpecific/linux/plugins.ext
        to ~/platforms/unix/src/

I should say I also removed config.h from
~/platforms/Cross/plugins/FlowPlugin/ as it looked like a MacOS
include...

So now you have your sources set up.

. . .

I'm not convinced the following is necessary just to build Flow.so.
(You might want it for other reasons though):

>> 6.  Install VMMaker-3.8b6.1 from Universes (Category: System)

>> 8.  Open VMMaker Tool and configure:
>>     8.1. Interpreter Class Name: Interpreter
>>     8.2. Path to Platform Code: ~/platforms
>>     8.3. Platform Name: unix
>>     8.4. Path to Generated Sources: ~/platform/unix/src
>>     8.5. Internal Plugins: None
>>     8.6. External Plugins: Flow

. . .

All that VMMaker is being used for is to generate the plugins.ext file
which doesn't have to say anything more than:

EXTERNAL_PLUGINS = FlowPlugin

...which you have already courtesy Craig. If this file doesn't say
that, the make process will still chug foward, stumble and generate a
Flow.la because ./configure found it, but the Makefiles weren't built
correctly. I found that fiddling with VMMakerTool merely erased what
was in plugins.ext. (Not sure why)

So the final part is to switch to ~/platforms/unix/ and run make. This
will go through and run many ./configures, build the requisite
Makefiles, and should leave Flow.so in ~/platforms/unix/bld/FlowPlugin/

But as I said, I believe there are still problems with it, but not the
same as on my previous tries...

:-)

I'll follow this email with with my typescript of the make process. It
has a bunch of warnings that I don't know right now whether they are
serious or not...

Best, vatic