Steps to a spoony VM

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Sep 14 04:48:04 UTC 2007

Hi Tony--

 > Things that puzzle me:
 >
 > - the calls to halt ("halt(3)" appears a lot in interp.c)

      Yeah, looks like I left in a "3 halt" by mistake in
Interpreter>>primitiveFail, which of course gets sent by a lot of other
places. There's also a halt I was using during simulation in
LargeIntegersPlugin>>noteMissingPrimitive:, which you noticed after
translation to C (it should be removed before translation).

 >  - the call to cleanUpContexts [in
 > Interpreter>>primitiveSnapshotWithoutStaleMethods]

      That's a vestigial thing from 3.2 that I didn't catch, that line
should just be removed.

 >  - the error generating LargeIntegersPlugin
 >  - the nasty code in the generated LargeIntegersPlugin

      That happened because of the halt in LargeIntegersPlugin mentioned
above, I assume.

      Thanks for going through the building process, and for taking notes!

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist