second call for feedback on Naiad design

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Thu Nov 20 05:48:38 UTC 2008

 > It's not the filesystem access that is slow. It is that the
 > current source code storage format reads the file character by
 > character, looking for the terminating !, and doing utf-8
 > conversion the whole way. 95% of the time in a MC snapshot is
 > spent in testing the source file characters for the terminating
 > ! character. I imagine you do much more in bulk rather than
 > character by character. The format of the .sources file is
 > horrible for access speed.

      Oh, right! I forgot about that. :)  Yeah, should be quite a bit
faster, I'm just answering String objects that are sitting in memory.
The measurements will be interesting.

      But again, I take it from your comment that you're actually
finding the speed of the traditional setup to be a problem? If so, then
yeah, it'd make a good marketing point.

      thanks again,

-C