Smalltalk evolution

David Fuller david.fuller at mac.com
Tue Sep 16 16:00:05 UTC 2008

Hello Craig,

	Do you plan to, perhaps, include some enhancements to the Smalltalk
language itself?  For example, silently ignoring message failure
instead of raising DoesNotUnderstand exception?  Myself, I used to be
completely against this until I started working with Objective-C and
it made reading code so much easier because it was just so much
clearer.  Not understanding a message really isn't an exceptional
circumstance.  Besides, the compiler draws your attention to when such
things occur by providing a message 'message not found.  Unknown
methods are expected to return type 'id' and take a variable number of
arguments'.  Useful stuff.  Elegance is, in my opinion, underrated in
its utility.

	Namespaces perhaps?  Prototypes with Slots?

	Unicode message names?  I certainly think the last would be useful
especially in the case of advanced mathematics and unary operators
using Unicode math symbols.  Of course, this is just an idea out of my
head so there is probably some compelling reason why I've not heard of
it before.

	And, to clarify my understanding:  All message sends are asynchronous
in Spoon?

	These and more questions are probably answered elsewhere but I've not
had the occasion to run across them yet.  If anyone else wants to jump
in, please do.  I've dabbled with Smalltalk over the years and am now
finding myself spending more and more time with it as a personal
preference.  I am, by no means, versed well enough yet to not be
dangerous :)

	All these questions point out one final question:  Where can one find
out about the current evolutionary efforts related to Squeak and
Smalltalk?  I see lots of random articles but no real driving process...

BR,
Dave