Squeak file locations under Linux/Debian

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 22 18:00:27 UTC 1998

Nick Vargish writes:

 > > I think it might be okay to keep configuration information in .squeak,
 > > but the image file and the changes file are both fairly large, and
 > > it's quite valid for a user to move them around, ftp them, etc., as
 > > well as having multiple images.  The user should be aware of them,
 > > which is why I don't want them automatically created or named, or put
 > > in a hidden directory.
 >

 > Anyway, despite how it may read, I don't have a big emotional commitment
 > to $HOME/.squeak. It just seemed like the reasonable suggestion and I
 > hadn't seen anyone else mention it...

So besides the name, what are other people's thoughts on automatically
setting up images?

Personally, I'd rather just supply a QuickStart guide for squeak, and
let them copy the files around themselves.  Then they can name their
directory .squeak, squeak, Squeak, lib/squeak, elephant, asdfasdf, or
just put it all in their home directory if they want.

I don't think it's THAT hard to get things set up--it's just two file
copies.  And if the error message from typing just "Squeak" without
arguments points out where those files are, then it seems like no
problem at all.

Lex