QuickTime 3 support in Squeak

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Fri Apr 24 16:16:03 UTC 1998

Philippe de Rochambeau <pr1 at club-internet.fr> wrote...
>I think that QuickTime 3 support in Squeak (at least in the Windows and
>Macintosh versions) would make it attractive to multimedia designers. What do
>you all think?

This is a double-edged sword.  It would compromise Squeak's ultra portability to depend on QT, since then a port to a bare chip would have to eschew everything built on QT.  It is our goal to make Squeak nearly as nice without it, and hopefully better in a number of ways.

However, there is no doubt that QT is a powerful facility and a growing standard.  I've been hoping that one of these high-leverage external resources (QT, databases, 3D, native widgets) would galvanize some of our troops into doing a general interface from Squeak to such native resources.  We of the Squeak team will probably do this if no one else does, but several other things are higher on our list right now.

>P.S. Do any of you know when Squeak 2 will be available?

To quote from my message of April 9...

>A while ago I gave mid-April as a target date for Squeak 2.0.
>It is clear now that it will be more like the middle of May instead.
>Rather than wait, I thought I'd give you all some warning.

That is still looking realistic.  We plan to have a beta version out in the first week of May.

	- Dan