Why Squeak ?

Maloney johnm at wdi.disney.com
Wed Apr 29 22:16:19 UTC 1998

Re:
>But we have a sincere form of flattery too: the Morphic UI. About this,
>I would like to know what enhancements are planned for Morphic UI on
>next release of Squeak? I would like to have the "mechanism" that
>Morphic interface uses to make the UI components comunicate between them
>and comunicate with some "model" class. If there is any documentation,
>specialy in OOA & OOD specification format (in bitmap or BOOST format),
>I'd appreciate.

No accidient, that! Randy Smith and I did the first version of Morphic
for the Self system at Sun Labs. After I'd joined the Squeak team,
I re-implemented Morphic in Squeak (with plenty of re-thinking
in the process).

In Squeak 2.0, we're using the standard MVC dependency mechanism to
connect models up to viewer morphs (which combine the functionality
of MVC views and controllers). So far, it's working out quite nicely.

	-- John