MVC & Morphic

Maloney johnm at wdi.disney.com
Fri Apr 24 00:37:01 UTC 1998

Re:
>Will morphic give Squeak a  modern user interface? Is morphic very modern
>plumbing on top which a great deal more work need be done before one has
>something like what tk is to tcl? Or is it the whole kit and kaboodle with
>all the widgets one would like.
>How would it compare to tk? More advanced? Less complete?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "modern" and I've only got
a reading (and probably out-dated) familiarity with Tcl/Tk, but
I think Morphic covers the Tk territory and a bit more as well.
For example, one could consider building an aquarium simulation
in Morphic, with animated fish swimming about and interacting.
I don't think Tk was designed for things like that. Morphic has
a number of useful widgets (morphs), like sliders, buttons, scrolling
lists, and simple row and column layout. It is not nearly as
complete or as graphically consistent as Tk.

Overally, I think you'll find Morphic less polished, less
standardized, but much easier to change and extend.

Re: Will it support drag and drop?

Yes, it does that well.

	-- John