Killer Smalltalk Application

Patrick Logan patrickl at servio.gemstone.com
Fri Apr 10 21:03:00 UTC 1998

    OK, but you use it for WinWord (i.e. a wordprocessor - part of the suite).
    I noticed that in the daily business routine people use WinWord but get
    tired of all the options and buttons when all they want is to type a letter
    to a customer...

This description fits my wife to a T. Word gets in the way more than
it helps but we have not found anything better for her. If anyone
wants to develop an application in Squeak I think a word processor
would be a good challenge.

One of the big problems with word processors in general (other than
all the options) is the basic metaphor is horribly confused. Word is
typical. It does not know whether it wants to present the user a
stream of characters (some of them control/layout characters) or
whether it wants to present the user a sheet of paper. It kind of
wants to do the latter, but slips into the latter more often than not.

Watching my wife type, and sometimes helping her recover from Word's
mangled stream of formatting characters, it seems clear to me she
wants a sheet of paper and she wants to pick a place to type and type
there.

If someone could come up with a handful of prepared documents and them
let them be modified using a 2D "sheet of paper" metaphor, I think it
would make some people happy. (Although it probably would not make you
rich.)

Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl at gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556
Gemstone Systems, Inc         http://www.gemstone.com