Squeak needs printing capabilities

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 8 16:51:49 UTC 1998

Two things.

First, it would be nice to have some sort of simplified plain text
printing system, in addition to postscript--this would be faster on
many systems (eg, mine :)) and would be nicer on VM developpers for
wierd platforms.

Second, there don't necessarily have to be dedicated primitives for
printing to work.  For instance, if there were some sort of system()
and/or popen() escape (as has been proposed previously), then Unix
users could just call lpr.  And currently, if one has a network
printer available, one should be able to print via sockets from ANY
platform.  But for some configurations (wimpy Windows 95 boxes maybe
:)), there would HAVE to be primitives added.  Or, can in fact those
wimpy Windows 95 boxes handle network printing via some sort of
standard protocol?

Lex