X3J20

glenn krasner at objectshare.com
Fri Apr 17 16:34:42 UTC 1998

Mike,

At 04:36 PM 4/16/98 -0700, Mike Klein wrote:
>Is
>	http://www.x3.org/tc_home/j20.htm
>
>the right place to go? It looks pretty unchanged for a LONG time.

You're right, it is old. I'll see if we can do anything about getting it or
some other Web page updated.

>to which I just subscribed.

That's the right list for public discussion on the Committee's work.

>> e.g. by making
>> the boundaries of the Public Review period much more clear
>
>Um, yeah. Like I wish it were a little bit longer, now.
>I hope that they extend it.

No, the draft has been sent to the main NCITS (formerly X3) body for vote
on whether to send it on to ANSI for approval as a Standard. The ballotting
ends in about a week. My naive understanding is that ANSI rarely rejects
Standard proposals that NCITS recommends for approval.

This is good news, in that there's a good chance the first Standard will be
approved pretty soon. It does mean that your comments, questions and
suggestions (and many of mine, by the way, and others) that you send now
will not make it in this round. This is why the Committee plans to actively
work on errata (which don't need to go through the major review process)
and addenda (which do) during the second half of this year.

I think this is much better than holding up the Standard for another half
year or so. In hindsight, we could have done better in the current
timeframe, but isn't that always the case.

glenn