Why Squeak ?

Alexandre Augusto Drummond Barroso bitmop at pobox.com
Wed Apr 29 04:43:26 UTC 1998

David Stes wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Maloney wrote:
>
>>>Also, if the Squeak VM technology is ahead of Java. What will stop
the
>>>Java people from 'copying' some of your ideas.
>> Nothing at all, and I wish they would!
> It is sometimes said that copying is the sincerest form of flattery !
> I find Squeak very valuable as reference platform.  I'm always in
favor of
> extending Objective-C into the Smalltalk direction, and Squeak helps.

BTW, Sun Labs (www.sunlabs.com) has a project on persistent object
environment for Java and Java 1.2 implements Collection class and its
subclasses. Of course these classes aren't so easy to use like their
counterparts in Smalltalk... And there are many UI ideas from the Self
4.0 project from Sun Labs that Java language have used, like automatic
layout (Java LayoutManager) and some UI widgets.

But we have a sincere form of flattery too: the Morphic UI. About this,
I would like to know what enhancements are planned for Morphic UI on
next release of Squeak? I would like to have the "mechanism" that
Morphic interface uses to make the UI components comunicate between them
and comunicate with some "model" class. If there is any documentation,
specialy in OOA & OOD specification format (in bitmap or BOOST format),
I'd appreciate.

Thanx in advance,

Alexandre A. Drummond Barroso