Thread-Safe FileStreams

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 6 21:18:29 UTC 1998

>This triggers primitive failed errors on Linux, too.  Debugging some,
>it seems the reason is that contentsOfEntireFile actually closes the
>file stream itself, and so aFile1 and aFile2 end up being closed
>twice!

Yup, that makes sense.  (Duh!  Shoulda noted that one!)  Hmm, maybe I'm
barking up the wrong tree.  Somehwere the PWS is losing file handles, but
maybe it has nothing to do with threads.

Thanks, Lex and Andreas, for your hunting!  I'll go back to trying to
figure out some way of replicating the bug reliably -- or getting rid of it
:-)

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu