Linux squeak

Alexander Lazarevic lazarevi at prinz-atm.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Mon Apr 27 21:37:40 UTC 1998

Hi!

I just joined the mailinglist a few days ago. There was a mail from
someone (sorry I accidentally deletetd it) complaining about the lack
of Linux squeak to produce sound. I would like to take the opportunity
to point out some other shortcomings of Linux squeak.

The one thing, that really annoys me is that squeak won't interrupt on
CTRL-C. If I get stuck in an endless loop I have to kill the squeak
process, restart squeak and replay the changes.

Mentioning starting squeak reminds me that I have tried to start
squeak with the -xshm option to enable X shared memory extensions. If
I try to resize the squeak work window it crashes. This won't happen
when I start squeak without -xshm.

What confuses me is that some of the sourcecode in the image uses CR
as the lineend character. Everytime I want to have a look at a method
which has this line terminator I just get garbage in the method
view. I have to do a format and accept to get it straight. Shouldn't
the display method treat LF and CR equally?

Other thing I noticed, is that output to Transcript is very
slow. Something like <? 80 timesRepeat: [Transcript show: '#'] ?>
really gives you a coffee-break. I don't know if this is just a linux
specific problem.

After all that bashing I want to make clear, that squeak has some
aspects I really like. Just to pick one: PWS is a very ... "cool"
thing. :)

I appreciate the rapid development of squeak and that it offers a
playground for new ideas. This made me return to it. (After first
contact with squeak about one year ago, my first reaction was to set
up "The official Squeak haters page" at our university. -- Things can
change :)

Alex.

--
-- Otto-von-Guericke-Universitaet      mailto: lazarevi at cs.uni-magdeburg.de --