Squeak needs printing capabilities

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Wed Apr 8 17:02:21 UTC 1998

> Second, there don't necessarily have to be dedicated primitives for
> printing to work.  For instance, if there were some sort of system()
> and/or popen() escape (as has been proposed previously), then Unix
> users could just call lpr.  And currently, if one has a network
> printer available, one should be able to print via sockets from ANY
> platform.  But for some configurations (wimpy Windows 95 boxes maybe
> :)), there would HAVE to be primitives added.  Or, can in fact those
> wimpy Windows 95 boxes handle network printing via some sort of
> standard protocol?

Depends. Our network printer just speaks ftp (no, I'm not giving its IP
address ;-) so in these cases it's no problem. If you've got a PostScript
printer on a port then you open this as a file and put your PostScript
document on it. Again no problem. The remaining 95% of all Windows
installations would probably have to get their hand on GS ...

  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+