Squeak needs printing capabilities

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Thu Apr 9 01:46:08 UTC 1998

On Wed 08 Apr, Reinier van Loon wrote:

> I am not really a fan of this solution because people tend to use
these
> specific subclasses which does not make code portable to other
platforms.
Then they should be hauled out into the public squares and beheaded!

> Hmm. This systemcall code might look like (excerpt from printing.cs
in
> KSCSQK.ZIP)
[Snip horrible code]
> This contains platformspecific commands like 'lpr' and 'rm'. I'd
rather
> have an abstract interface for printing a document. Maybe the only
thing we
> need at VM level is just 'lpr' (Unix) or 'copy lpt1:' (Windows/DOS)
and the
> corresponding primitive is called 'print'.
It might be permissible for the appropriate platform specific
subclass to have such mentions of 'lpr' etc, but as mentioned before,
nobody need know. If you have proper class implementations then that
_is_ an abstract interface.

> > The VM is already _way_ too complicated and convoluted.
> Really? I think it is not that bad. It is quite clean actually.
Then we will have to be content to disagree. I believe we can make it
much simpler eventually.

> > --
> > Useful Latin Phrases:- Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam
> > suffodiant!
> > May faulty logic undermine your entire philosophy!
> Was this generated or intentionally put here?
My siglines are generated by a random number prog. It is worrying how
often they come out somewhat apropos.

--
Useful random insult:- His mind is a few Hertz off its assigned
frequency.