Interpreter Plugins

Boris G. Chr. Shingarov usib6tfj at pol.ru
Fri Apr 10 01:36:40 UTC 1998

Andreas,

On March 22, I responded to Alejandro:

----------------------- citation ------------------------------
> If we "modularize" the VM to have the opportunity to load
> its parts when the "upper (image) objects" need it,
> the complete building of the VM can be done dynamically.
> In commercial versions of Smalltalk like PPD, the user
> have the possibility to write some primitives in an external
> module (e.g. DLL) and bind/unbind a service to a primitive
> number to expand or patch VM behavior.

I was already looking into that.  Neat idea.  But why make
Squeak do all the work where we can put it on the OS?  Just
put different sets of primitives in different DLLs.  My own
vision for VM modularity came from the UPs.  I had Ian's
sqUserPrimitives.c with his sample primitives, and my own
one with DLL callout (like your SqApi, but for OS/2).  'Ok',
- I said, - 'now I want both, should I produce a merged
sqUserPrimitives.c by hand???'  Didn't look like an option...
now it searches for all DLL in the cwd to see if there are
some user primitives to load.