Bug in Rectangle>>containsPoint:?

Tim Olson tim at jumpnet.com
Sat Apr 25 17:38:27 UTC 1998

>I think you are right. You know, when Bill Atkinson did QuickDraw for the
>Mac, he came up with a useful insight: to have the coordinates be zero
>width and be located between the pixels, instead of being on the pixels.
>This has many felicitous properties and perhaps someday we should convert
>over to this convention for Squeak ....

I think Squeak already works this way, at least under the Macintosh.  Try:

Display fill: (Rectangle origin: 1 at 1 corner: 2 at 2) fillColor: Color red.

which plots a single red pixel on my Mac.  Does it do something different
(e.g. plot a 2x2 square of pixels) on other systems?  I would suspect
that it doesn't, otherwise some of the UI (borders, etc.) might look
strange.  If all systems plot the single pixel, then the various VMs must
be handling the interface to the underlying display such that they are
all treating it as a "zero width coordinate, between pixels" organization.

     -- tim