why Squeak ?

Philippe de Rochambeau pr1 at club-internet.fr
Tue Apr 21 16:54:00 UTC 1998

As a Squeak newbie, I would like to add a few comments to the "why Squeak" debate:

- Squeak seems like a great programming environment, but its lack of a
take-me-by-the-hand tutorial (especially on MVC and Morphs) and documentation
make it too intimidating for newbie programmers like me. Furthermore, outside
documentation is not too helpful since most books on Smalltalk-80 are hard to
find, outdated, and don't talk about Morphs.

- it would be great if Squeak could support QuickTime 3.0 which is now almost
totally cross-platform. Quicktime 3.0 would make Squeak appealing to
multimedia designers.

When will Squeak 2 for Mac be available?

Philippe de Rochambeau