Little Red Hen message (sorry, it's uni-cultural)

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Thu Apr 16 23:04:40 UTC 1998

Wow --

Sorry Glenn.  It is true that I have a different point of view from the ANSI committee on uniform number radix and exponent specifiers.  And everyone knew that from the start, since I wrote it.  So, since no one asked me about it, I figured that the committee had their own good reasons.  I have heard from others who are happy with this change.

I did not mean at all to belittle the ANSI work;  neither the magnitude of the effort nor the quality of the result.  Au contraire;  I think it is a good thing for Smalltalk.  I apologize for not being more careful about expressing my difference in perspective.  It was just the example that sprang to my mind about something that was simple and general, and that we have retained because it is useful and enlightening.  I'm not really sad that ANSI differed, and I shouldn't have used that word.  After all, we've got Squeak.

The difference in perspective is important, though, and we will see more of it as Squeak moves forward.  Smalltalk needs ANSI to become a standard.  But it also needs Squeak (and other such efforts) to keep moving forward.

Thank you, Glenn (and others like Allen W-B) for watching the traffic here and reminding us of the ANSI work when appropriate.  Trust me, I respect you all personally and professionally.  But is has been too long since we had a party.

	- Dan