Squeak 2.1 for UNIX?

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Wed Aug 19 02:08:20 UTC 1998

At 05:12 PM 8/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>R. A. Harmon writes:
> > At 04:48 PM 8/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
> > >R. A. Harmon writes:
[snip]
> > I've tried it and it is very well done.  I believe it only fixes some of the
> > areas of difficulty with like termination.  Below are a couple of examples
> > of areas it missed:
> >
> > Behavior>>#compile:notifying:
> >         . . .
> >         withPreamble: [:f |
> >                 f cr;                   <- oops
[snip]

>Well #cr does a #nextPut:, and CrLfFileStream's nextPut: will
>automatically change CR's to whatever the local system's convention
>is.  So the only place in the system that knows any dirty work is
>going on, is in the guts of CrLfFileStream, and the rest of the system
>can just assume lines are CR delimitted.
[snip]

I finally studied the Squeak file system closely enough to follow the class
interaction, and found I needed to change the FileStream
class>>#concreteStream method to return CrLfFileStream instead of the
StandardFileStream class to make it the default.  That and installing the
glass port hole in my belly button so I could see what I was doing when I
had my head up my . . ., ah, er, in the clouds finally got me a fully
functioning Squeak platform specific line term.

I'm using a version with the following header:

        'From Squeak 1.2 of June 29, 1997 on 10 July 1997 at 1:31:26 pm'

and it seems to work pleasingly well.

Thanks for the extended help.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy