What is hidden ?

Stephan B. Wessels stephan.wessels at sdrc.com
Wed Aug 19 19:13:52 UTC 1998

I remember the first time I saw an application browser being used (I think it
was AM/ST for Smalltalk/V) it occurred to me that the browser, because it
"filtered" down to only show the essential methods that were required, that it
was less overwhelming to a new developer.  I realized that one role this kind
of browser has is to show only what's necessary to "get it" about the use of a
class.

Of course the developer always had the option to see all categories when you
needed a full look under the covers.  But a filtered view is one way to make
learning Smalltalk less intimidating.

  - Steve