Apples to Oranges in FileStream

Michael Donegan invader at zilker.net
Fri Aug 21 11:59:08 UTC 1998

>In the case you mention, these methods are intended for streams of
>bytes, not streams of characters.  If you send "binary" to the stream
>before calling them, or otherwise use a stream of bytes, then they
>work fine.

Well, the author of the rest of the methods in that group:

  nonhomogeneous accessing in PositionableStream

didn't know that because they put asInteger after every call of "self next".
The nice thing about doing that is that it ensures that even a stream of
characters will work right at the expense of an extra message send per byte.

I just point this out because I'm in favor of consistency. It makes
everything a lot easier to understand. And I hope someone will have a spare
cycle sometime to fix some of these things.

I'd like it if both:

2 log

and

2 ln

returned answers, but they don't.

And you are definitely right about being able to fix things.

Don't get me wrong. I think Squeak is really cool. One of the things I've
got spinning around on my disk is a file with the following header:

'From Smalltalk-80 of June 28th, 1985 on 25 October 1987 at 7:27:05 am'!

I've kept it around because I hoped that someday someone would make
Smalltalk work on my Mac again. And they have, beyond my wildest
imagination. I couldn't do it myself because the VM was not available back
then.

        mkd