Squeaking the Web

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 6 07:22:22 UTC 1998

Ahh, yes.  I find those kinds of organizations faintly frustrating,
myself, even when ethernet is available.  Despite all the links, they
are still a bit of a pain to browse around.  If it's going to have
that huge table of contents in the front, the whole document may as
well be sent as a single HTML file.

A better scheme might be an abbreviated table of contents, with just
the section headings.  Then you can still browse pretty quickly....

This all seems like a situation of bad layout despite good
intentions.  The only thing that leeps out as a bad point of HTML
design, is that once you get to one of the sub-pages, your browser
loses all concept that that page you are viewing is just one part of a
larger document.

It would be nice, for instance, to be able to get to the end of a
"page", and keep scrolling on down to the next page.  With better
meta-information, the browser could do things like that without making
you wait for the download.  It could keep enough of the larger
document in cache that you can scroll several pages without having to
hit hte network.  But there is no serious notion of multi-page
constructs in HTML today.  Even one of the simplest of such
constructs, a linear sequence akin to the pages of a book, is not
available.

Lex