Block closures was: Block temps was: Porting from other dialects

glenn krasner at objectshare.com
Tue Aug 18 20:56:23 UTC 1998

At 11:01 AM 8/18/98 -0700, John-Reed Maffeo wrote:
>glenn wrote:
>--- snip
>> Ah, a much more interesting question, which might be rephrased as "would
>> block temporaries carry their  weight in the Squeak context?" I don't feel
>> qualified to render an opinion on this, although I will say that when
>> Squeak has block closures, the ability to implement block temps will be a
>
>What are block closures and what needs to be done to Squeak to effect
>them?

(Re-entrant) blocks that have their local copies of arguments, stack (and
temps) per activation. You need to separate the block code-representing
objects (where there would be, for example, one per literal block) from the
block-activation representing objects (where there would be one per #value*
message).

>Is there anyone working on on this?

I hope so.

glenn