Arithmetic (was: Polymorphism without protocol dilution)

Maurice Rabb m3rabb at stono.com
Wed Aug 26 18:25:19 UTC 1998

At 10:34 AM 8/26/98, Travis Griggs wrote:
>Yup. One might call what Squeak has a form of double-coercion. The
>generality scale
>is built right into the various #adaptToType: messages. So that negates
>the use of
>the older coercion scheme found as  fallback in VW. It also limits having to
>reproduce the tree for each of the basic four arithmetic ops (+, -, /, *).
>OTOH, it
>requires extra message sends to get some work done, and can create intermediate
>objects.

So beyond needing to create less methods in total, what if any is the real
advantage over DD?

>Yes, I still use the DD changeSet. Note that Stephen Travis Pope found a
>bug or two
>in the LargeInteger stuff, which he generously posted to the archive.

I was planning to use DD for the Rectangle arithmetic as well.  When I am
done how about we unify this with STP's bug fixes?

>I haven't done
>any actual real work as of late, just poked around. I can't even figure out
>where to download the 2.1 stuff for the Mac. The UIUC link downloads a 2.0
>binhex file.

I got my 2.1 in st.cs.uiuc.edu  Smalltalk/Squeak/2.0/Squeak2.1sea.bin.
I seem to remember that after downloading the archive I was surprised
because it was name 2.0. Ignore this because inside it is actually 2.1.

--Maurice