squeak program delivery, etc

Jim Menard jimm at io.com
Thu Dec 3 17:23:04 UTC 1998

> From: Alex Rice <alrice at swcp.com>

> On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 08:20:21 -0800,
> Alan Kay <alank at wdi.disney.com> said:
>
> Alan> Here are partial answers to your questions. An overall covering
> Alan> answer to all of the questions is that Squeak is an Open Source
> Alan> Software system and all of its code is thus under your
> Alan> control. i.e. you can have any answer you wish.
>
> Thanks very much for your notes.
>
> I was impressed with how fast Squeak compiled. In fact, it was so fast I
> thought something was wrong, but there were no error messages and it ran
> correctly :-) I shall definitely take a look at the source code, yes.
>
> Alan> I don't completely understand this question. There isn't any Microsoft
> Alan> licensing of Squeak.
>
> I thought that I read in the mail archive that there was a MS license. I
> must have confused that with something else... an MS license of
> Smalltalk, not Squeak itself?

Perhaps you are thinking of the fonts? From the README file:

"NOTE: The Comic Sans font included in this release is copyright: ) 1997
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.  Use is governed by the
agreement found at
	  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/eula.htm"

Jim
--
Jim Menard   jimm at io.com   http://www.io.com/~jimm/   BeOS developer #1283
"When people have acupuncture, do wax dolls die?" -- The Comedy Network (UK)